Thursday, November 10, 2016

NFC (Week Nine)

Cowboys -- The 'Boys are still the class of the NFC, the running game is mighty, the rookie QB is still getting the job done and that defense is surprisingly effective. They are the most complete team in the NFC and if they can avoid QB squabbles (don't be surprised if Romo has a hero moment at some point), they can go to the Super Bowl.

Falcons -- The offense is still on fire and the defense is good enough. The Panthers and Saints are playing better but I think the Falcons still have a good grasp on the division. The defense is getting better and I think they can outscore conference opponents in the playoffs.

Seahawks -- Clearly a step slower then previous years but the D is still good, Russell Wilson is still quite capable and I think veteran smarts will play a role. They've been sloppy on the sidelines but I can't imagine that will keep the Seahawks from getting deep in the playoffs.

Packers -- I dunno, they still have Aaron Rodgers and the expectation of success. I think the D is kinda terrible and Rodgers' supporting cast has all fallen off the last few years. But I'm not seeing any real juggernauts in the NFC, so I reckon they'll have their shot in the post-season.

Vikings -- The D has taken a step back from its early season dominance and the offense has too. In September they looked solid from top to bottom, now they seem kinda rickety. I'm betting that there's still enough there to resurrect by season's end.

Saints -- I never would've thought I'd say this but the Saints look dangerous enough to win games. They remind me of the Steve Nash Suns: non-stop offense that leaves gaps in the defense that makes for entertaining games. Come playoff time, the Saints will be the 2nd best team on the field regardless of their opponent but, man, Brees can still sling it and hang numbers. Still dangerous.

Cards -- Like the Bengals, I think the Cards peaked last year and instead of hitting the ground running, they're making up lost ground. I think the Cards are still good enough to squeak into the playoffs but I don't see either side of the ball being good enough often enough to go deep.

Redskins -- I dunno, they're occasionally good. They have some talent but not enough, they're not good but they're not bad either. On a good day they could pull an upset and on a bad day they could get stomped badly.

Eagles -- I look the rookie QB, I like the attitude but I don't like their chances to win a lot of games. I feel like they've overachieved already and while the kid is good, I still feel like this year's success will only screw up next year's path to improvement.

Panthers -- They should've been better but after a horrible start it feels like they're starting to get it together. They crushed people last year, I knew they wouldn't be that good but I thought they'd matter in the NFC. There's still enough time that I guess to play spoiler but I don't see them making the playoffs.

Rams, Giants, Lions -- The mediocre pile. Every once in a while they look good (or like they might be good). But just as often they look terrible.

Bucs -- Yeah, even though they're not all that good, it still feels like they should be better. Maybe next year.

Bears -- They're feisty but they're not any good.

Niners -- The Niners, man, shit...it was just yesterday that they looked like they were gonna dominate for years to come. Now they suck so bad....uh, yeah...they just suck. Not sure what else to say.

No comments: