Monday, October 31, 2016

World Series (After 5 Games)

When the Indians went up 3-1 on the Cubs I could taste it. But I remember the last time the Indians went up 3-1 in the playoffs (Coach Francona does, too, he was the coach of the Red Sox who came back and won), and it went something like this: I knew Josh Beckett was gonna be untouchable in Game Five (he was), I knew Curt Schilling was gonna be tough in Game Six (he was) and I knew Dice-K was not gonna be an easy out in Game Seven (I was right again). I knew the Indian pitching wasn't as good and the hitting was going to disappear...and it did.

Let's look at this time around: Cubs weren't going quietly in Game Four (they did not), Arrieta will be a beast in Game Five (girl, you know it's true) and in Game Seven Hendricks is gonna want payback for the W he wasn't able to lock down in his very impressive Game Three. Series ain't over, Indians fans. To get that ring we gotta go get that last game. And doing it in Cleveland is not going to be any easier than doing it in Chicago. An ominous observation for these young-and-coming Cubs: Wrigley Field in late October does not look like an environment conducive to left handed power hitting. The Cubs are set to dominate for the next coupla years but their homefield may not be an advantage in the coming Fall Classics. (Also, never really noticed before but, man, Wrigley Field looks like a fuckin' dump! Those brick walls, those narrow dugouts, and you know the parts you don't see can't be any better) The upside for the Cubs though is I think they're better off trying to win in Cleveland than in Chicago.

I picked the Indians in 7 at the beginning and I think I'm gonna stick with that. I think Arrieta has one more masterful game in him that the Indians won't be able to overcome (after which both teams will be 2-1 on the road). And then I'll take Kluber over Hendricks in Game Seven. The Cubs' bats have been pretty soft so far and I think the Indians can make that continue for two more games. The Indians have outscored the Cubs 17-10 so far and 6 of the Cubs' 10 runs came in just two innings, in the other 42 innings they've scored just 4 runs. I think the Indians can make that work.

I really admire these Cubs but I really love these Indians. I think the Cubs push the Indians to the brink but I'll stick with the Tribe to finish 'em off. (Indeed, look for the Indians to win big in Game Seven, just a hunch)

No comments: