Wednesday, October 5, 2016

MLB Playoffs

In July I assessed the MLB landscape and decided that the AL division winners would be the Rangers (right), Royals (wrong), Blue Jays (wrong but they got in) with the Indians and Red Sox in the play-in game (both won their division, so I was kinda close). I got 4 out of the 5 playoff teams and in my defense the Royals had one nice run late summer but it wasn't enough while the Orioles surprised me with their resilience.

At the time I took the Indians over the Red Sox and the Blue Jays over the Rangers...so...uhhh, I guess I'll stick with those picks. I'll take the Blue Jays over the Indians for the AL pennant.

In the NL I had the division winners as Nats (right), Cubs (duh, obviously right), Giants (wrong but they got in) with the Mets (right) and Pirates (not even close) in the play-in game. I thought the Pirates had the easiest part of their schedule in the second half but they just never got any momentum going this year, while the Dodgers kinda easily won their division though they seemed uniquely out of sorts all year long.

I had the Cubs hammering the (winner of the play-in game, for now I'll say Mets over Giants) and I'll stay with that. On the other side I took the Nats over (replace Giants with Dodgers) and I'll stand by that one too. I had the Cubs over the Nats and that still seems like the match we'll all been waiting for.

My pre-season pick was Cubs over Blue Jays. My mid-season pick was Cubs over Blue Jays. I don't see any reason to change my pick now. The Blue Jays haven't been as good as they should have all year long but now is the time that matters; they're already in the heads of the Rangers (should be a great series) and by then they'll be rolling and I think they'll get the better of the Indians (or Red Sox, for that matter). The Cubs have been great all year (as was clearly obvious they would be since last year's drubbing of the Cards in the division series) and I really don't see anyone in the NL beating them. The Cubs are going to the World Series. The Blue Jays will be battle tested by then and not afraid of anyone, but I think the Cubs got that thing...you know? That thing.

Cubs over Blue Jays in 6.

No comments: