Monday, July 4, 2016

Euro Semifinals

Portugal (PKs) 1-1 Poland
Man, Portugal are so boring. Why? Seems like they'd be an exciting veteran side but instead they slow everything to a glacial pace. Can't deny I'm rooting against them for this reason alone. Thought Poland played well but outside of an early goal, they never looked decisive in the box.

Wales 3-1 Belgium
For all the talent Beligum possesses, they never look dangerous to me. I thought Lukaku had good chances in front of the goal, I expected Belgium to keep feeding him but it never happened. Wales controlled the ball well and played exciting soccer, made the most of their opportunities.

Germany (PKs) 1-1 Italy
A strangely dull game. Neither team wanted to push forward, both seemed happy to play for PKs, which is odd considering how badly both teams competed in the shoot out. I thought going in that the winner of this match would take the tourney but now I'm not so sure.

France 5-2 Iceland
Great game! Kinda felt bad for Iceland, they played so well despite the scoreline. France's 1st and 4th goals were well played balls over the top that left a forward alone with the goalies; France's 2nd and 5th goals were overpowering players on set plays; the 3rd goal really should've been saved (I think he just didn't see the initial shot, left him a step behind the play). Iceland played physical (thought the ref favored them for the most part) and seemed dangerous all through the match (way more than Portugal, Belgium, Germany or Italy, for example). (Looking back I wish Iceland had matched up against Portugal)

Semfinals
Wales-Portugal
Ain't gonna lie: Portugal is boring and I don't want them in the Final. Wales is exciting, frisky on the wings, relentless up the middle, fun to watch. Go Wales!

France-Germany
Germany seems young and tentative, surviving on pure athleticism rather than their usual guile and grace. France is playing really well right now, I think they're the team to beat.

No comments: