Tuesday, July 12, 2016

LA Lakers (so far)

The post-Kobe era has officially begun with the signings of Luol Deng (4yrs/$72m) and Timofey Mozgov (4yrs/$64m). They re-signed Jordan Clarkson (4yrs/$50m), Tarik Black (2yrs/$13m), Marcelo Huertas (2yrs/$?). They traded for Jose Calderon (and a coupla 2nd rd picks).And draft night netted them Brandom Ingram (#2) and Ivica Zubac (#32). I like all these moves.

They let go of Roy Hibbert (Hornets), Brandon Bass (still unsigned, could be back with the Lakers), Kobe Bryant (retired; I imagine him on the phone with Pat Riley saying, '2 years, $40 million? Yeah, I can do that'), Metta World Peace (retired; no peace for the world any more). I like all these moves. I'd get rid of Nick Young as fast as possible and I'd be shopping Lou Williams.

Not saying the Lakers are gonna be a contender over night but I think they're moving in the right direction. Re-signing Clarkson was top priority and I think its a good deal. Luol Deng is one of those guys that could've signed with any team in the league and though he's getting older and slower, the Lakers are lucky to have a solid reliable vet like Deng. People scoffed at the Mozgov deal but he's good rebounder and is dying to show the world he can still play ball, I think he's a vast improvement over Hibbert for the same money, not that bad a deal. Black is a nice youngster who has survived a coupla years of Laker madness, good to see him get a shot at continuing on. Huertas and Calderon are still good players, fewer minutes left in 'em but they're perfect for spelling Russell and Clarkson. I think Ingram will take a year or two but once he finds his stroke, I think he's gonna be a hell of a scorer. I have no idea about Zubac but apparently he wants to play right away, I love the enthusiasm, throw him in there.

The Lakers will be figuring out some things over the next year or two. They've got a raft of young talent there and by next summer, they'll be wooing big time free agents again (how about Serge and Westbrook getting back together in LA?). It'll be a long year but the fans will have something to cheer for and they'll have their moments. I don't see them in the playoffs but their top 3 protected 1st round draft pick will definitely be going to Philly.

No comments: