Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Eric Bledsoe saga (conclusion?)

Apparently the Suns are close to announcing that they've signed Bledsoe to 5 yrs/$70m.  Higher than I thought they'd go, but I think they did the right thing in signing him.  As I detailed earlier, it took a 3rd party to step in and make the deal possible and the Minnesota Timberwolves stepped up last week to be that third party (though I'm not sure why);  the T-Wolves would have been unable to sign him straight out, they would've had to make a trade offer to the Suns, but as I detailed earlier the Suns weren't going to fall for that.  The Suns wanted Eric Bledsoe not a pile of trade bait, they just wanted him as cheaply as they could get him.  Apparently, $14m is the cheapest.

I understand the trepidation, Bledsoe's time in the NBA has been brief and injury-plagued.  But I am convinced that he will be the breakout star of 2014-15 and the Suns were right to lock him up.  The only reason this didn't happen sooner was the lack of 3rd party interest, it only took a hint of that to get the Suns and Bledsoe to trade ink.  Not a lot of FA's moves out there left to make, getting closer to pre-season.

No comments: