Wednesday, July 9, 2014

World Cup Rankings: 9-12

9. Chile -- Whooped Australia, handled Spain, held their own against Netherlands and got an unlucky result against Brazil.  Chile had a pretty good tournament.  I'm curious to see how they do in the next Copa America.  With Brazil waning, Argentina sure to have a post-Cup hangover, Chile and Colombia look primed to do some damage in the next few years.

10. Belgium -- They were okay, I guess.  Did what they needed to do against Algeria, Russia, South Korea and USA, played pretty good against Argentina, can't call the tournament a failure.  But considering the hype they came in with and all that firepower up front, they never really turned my head.  They won, yeah, I get that, but I think their talent is either overrated or the system is not going to push them past their better competitors.

11. USA -- Lucky against Ghana, well enough against Portugal, game efforts against Germany and Belgium, I thought USA acquitted themselves well but really should've done better.  The talent is starting to get there but Coach Klinsmann employed virtually no offensive strategy to speak of, which is unlike how USA played in qualifying.  The possession up the middle game with Bradley-Jones-Dempsey is sorely lacking, while the speed up the wing seemed like a last resort.  I dunno, I think this team is on the rise (still) and hopefully we'll find some offense in the next 4 years.

12. Costa Rica -- Put the wood to the real group of death (blew out Uruguay, beat Italy, hard won draw with England), skipped past Greece and played well against the Netherlands.  Can't front on anything they did in this tournament, quarterfinals is a great accomplishment.  But I'm more familiar with Costa Rica (CONCACAF), watched them for years.  They have a savvy about them that often outplays their talent and they usually have good talent.  That said, I've been watching USA and Mexico handle them for years so its hard for me to see this as anything other than a wonderful run for Costa Rica rather than a harbinger of future awesomeness.  I think  CONCACAF as a whole is improving and I'll take Costa Rica to grow with the group.

No comments: