Tuesday, July 1, 2014

World Cup quarterfinals

Brazil v. Colombia -- Brazil is the host, they are the #1 team, the favorite to win, they are everyone's favorite team (or second favorite).  But outside of Neymar, this team doesn't have the magic of a usual Brazilian squad.  They've done what they had to do so far and while they drubbed Croatia and Cameroon, against two Latin American opponents, Mexico and Chile, the Brazilians did not look dominant.  They looked hesitant, they looked lucky, they looked shaky in the back.  Colombia, on the other hand, is coming in playing well.  Granted their 4 opponents (Japan, Greece, Ivory Coast, Uruguay) are not so impressive, Colombia have been better at both ends of the field in each game.  Brazil is a routine opponent of Colombia and rather than being intimidated by the host country's gold and blues, I reckon these Colombians will see this as a flawed Brazilian team rather than a classic one.  Also, just as a pet theory: in years past one would never bet against the host country but I think we're in a period where being the host is more of a pain in the ass than a leg up.  I think the Brazilians are ripe for an upset and I think Colombia is the team to put it on them.  I'll take Colombia 2-0.

Netherlands v. Costa Rica -- Netherlands destroyed Spain, floundered around with Australia and still easily beat them, dusted off a pretty good Chile side and got the lucky late break they needed against Mexico.  In short: they're playing well and they're getting lucky.  (Throw in that I think Brazil and Germany get taken out by somebody else and the Dutch are in the catbird's seat)  Costa Rica beat Uruguay, beat Italy, tied England, squeaked past Greece.  Seems like they've already played their best soccer and while I don't want to say they've overachieved, I will say they've achieved about as much as they're gonna.  I think this is the easiest game to call, Netherlands 3-1.

France v Germany --  Germany reminds me of the San Antonio Spurs: they go out and do what they do and more often than not they win doing it.  The Germans don't conform to you, they make whatever you're doing fit into whatever they were gonna do anyway.  Germany's D has been okay (a little reliant on the keeper for my tastes), the mid-field has been typically stellar but upfront I'm not impressed with their scoring abilities.  After an easy time of it against Portugal they've merely survived against Ghana, USA and Algeria.  The Germans are always gonna be good, they're gonna hang around and beat you late if that's what they have to do.  But I don't think France gives them the chance.  France is young and loose, they're playing confidently right now and while I don't think they're unbeatable, I think they have more mojo than the Germans.  I think France scores early, fluster the Germans for a while and make it stand up.  I'll take France 1-0.

Argentina v Belgium -- While watching USA-Belgium today I kept thinking the longer this stays a 0-0 tie, the more I'm betting on Argentina.  Argentina is actually been rather lackluster to this point but they've looked better, been more effective and all-round way more dangerous than what Belgium has looked like.  USA's defense is legit, Tim Howard is a for-real baller.  But Argentina will press Belgium way more than the Americans did and I don't think the Belgian counter-attack is where goals appear for them.  Belgium has played Algeria, Russia, South Korea and USA and none of those squads have anything like the offensive capability of the Argentines.  I think Argentina wins this 2-0.

No comments: