Monday, August 27, 2007

U-17 World Cup update

I haven't been paying too much attention to this because watching high schoolers play soccer--even world class high schoolers--can be an excruciatingly dull affair. And the 1 match I did catch was a none-too-pleasant viewing experience: Tunisia 3-1 USA. The match featured three PK's, a garbage time goal and tons and tons of sloppy play. I'd say the ref had a bad day but frankly the camera work was so bad you couldn't really tell if they were good calls or not! USA looked pretty awful and the media coverage wasn't much better.

That said, its down to the sweet 16 so I'll at least keep up with the scores from here on out and hopefully I'll see some USA action (though I'd take Germany kids over American kids any day, so I'm guessing USA's time is at a close). I haven't seen anybody play but my gut tells me Argentina, Brazil and Germany are the faves, with Spain, England and Nigeria as the dark horse picks. I have no clue but we'll see.

Round of 16
(Wednesday, Aug 29)
Spain v North Korea
Tunisia v France
Peru v Tajikistan
Ghana v Brazil

(Thursday, Aug 30)
Argentina v Costa Rica
Nigeria v Colombia
England v Syria
Germany v USA

No comments: