Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Early peek at the NBA Draft

#1 and #2 are pretty well set in stone. The rest are dependent on team order, the circumstances, maybe how they impress (or fail to) in the pre-draft camps, etc. Here's a quick thumbnail of my top 20 available in this year's draft. I don't know anything about foreign players (there's a Chinese guy that'll be top 10, for example, whose name I can't recall), I'm just focusing on the American college players. Note: I can't quite decide whether I'm picking who I think will be good or who I think others will find good, truthfully I go back and forth.

Oden (Ohio State)
Durant (Texas)
Hibbert (Georgetown)
Horford (Florida)
Thornton (Florida State)
Wright (Kansas)
Hawes (Washington)
Brewer (Florida)
Wright (North Carolina)
Noah (Florida)
Fazekas (Nevada)
Steele (Alabama)
Williams (Arizona)
Davis (LSU)
Gray (Pitt)
Law (Texas A&M)
Afflalo (UCLA)
Green (Florida)
Brooks (Oregon)
Tucker (Wisconsin)

I think Green (Georgetown) might be up there but I'm not sure if he's coming out. Davis (LSU) is underrated though I wonder about his desire to be a great player. Williams (Arizona) is a player I know absolutely nothing about, I'm just guessing he'll be intriguing to teams and talking heads. Gray (Pitt) may be a reach on my part but he's got good hands, good feet, could be another Eddy Cury or he could be another Todd Fuller, hard to tell. Noah (Florida) is perhaps the hardest to figure: his game is all college but if he ends up with the right team he could be a useful contributor; but then I think if he ends up with a crappy team and doesn't taste success right away, he could be out of the league before his first contract is up. There's a lot of interesting guys in there compared to last year's embarassment of a draft class.

To my mind, Oden and Hibbert are the only can't miss stars in this draft. But a lot of these guys can be successful hang-around guys (Durant, Wright, Law, Tucker, Brewer, Davis, Brooks, for example). I have no doubt that my mind will change daily for the next 2 months.

No comments: