Thursday, January 25, 2007

NHL season highlights

I was looking for highlights of last night's NHL all-star game (I didn't get to watch it because I don't get, as I call it, 'the hockey channel'), and while I didn't find any on You Tube, I did find this collection of highlights from the first half of the NHL season.

The NHL is much maligned for their pyrhhric work stoppage a few years back that cancelled an entire season and devastated the viewing public's connection to the game. That's a shame because hockey is a good game. And the All-Star game should be the cornerstone of their season. Instead it is in vast Siberian reaches of cable TV exile. Too bad, it looked like a great game.

Incidentally, during the work stoppage I had two thoughts, neither of which came to fruition: 1) perhaps with the NHL declining, NCAA hockey might get more popular, and 2) with NHL billionaires waffling it was a perfect time for European billionaires to step in and steal the best hockey players on earth for a European super league. #1 didn't happen because honestly college hockey (like college soccer) isn't very good and #2 didn't happen because...I don't know why. I would've thought hockey would be popular enough in Europe but I guess not.

No comments: