Sunday, October 2, 2022

2022-23 NFL (Week 3)

Games I saw (some of):
Steelers 17-29 Browns
I was only kinda in and out of this game, mostly all I noticed was that Mitch Trubisky is just not gonna work as Pittsburgh's QB. The Browns running game is pretty great but I found their defense to be only so-so on this evening. Solid W for the Browns, clearly time for the Steelers to move on from Trubisky.

Bengals 27-12 Jets
Rather dull game. It was clear right away that the Jets offense was never going to move the ball, so most of the game was just hoping that Joe Burrow wouldn't get snapped in half. The Bengals have struggled this season but the Jets are just not good enough to inspire struggle. 

Raiders 22-24 Titans
The Titans looked like the last year Titans, the #1 in the AFC Titans, the run the ball down your throat Titans. And yet as sloppy and weird as the Raiders are, they still should've won this game. To recap: the Titans played their best game possible and still should've lost to an 0-3 squad. I just don't think that bodes well for the Titans this year. As for the Raiders, they'll get going at some point and probably be in the playoff hunt, but they strike me as a middle of the pack kinda team. 

Packers 14-12 Bucs
All defense. The Packers had two nice drives to open the game and that was it for them. The Bucs started slow but did have their chance to push the game to OT but couldn't convert the 2-pointer. You gotta think, though, if they meet again in the playoffs, it won't be a defensive struggle game. I think the Packers are the better team and probably will be the better team all year long; the Bucs D is legit but their offense is badly sputtering and that's weird for Tom Brady to endure. (This could definitely be your NFC Championship game) 

Niners 10-11 Broncos
Wow, what a dull game! I've always wondered why everyone hates Jimmy Garropolo and I think I realized why late in the 4th quarter: its like he just won't rest until he's thrown a horrible interception. Down the stretch he threw one but, man, he was throwing into ridiculous coverage all through that drive--it's amazing he didn't throw an interception sooner! That guy is either going to get the game winning TD or through the game-ending INT, and those are the only two options available for him. I think he's been overly maligned for guy that's made two final fours in the last 4 years, but I do see how he can be an annoying presence to the fans. As for the Broncos, they're starting slow but I think they'll be good by the end of the season (especially if the Raiders and Chargers keep on being this lackluster). Hang on Broncos fans, I think Russell Wilson is going to figure it out. And Niners fans need to hang on, too, I still think Jimmy G is going to win more games than he loses.

Cowboys 23-16 Giants
The Cowboys were the better team but the Giants aren't bad. I have no faith in their QB (another maddening QB: he has moments where he looks like he can be a guy, then he has moments where you wonder why they let him onto the field) but I kinda like the rest of the team and if they can find some identity as a grinding team, they can make some noise this year. The Cowboys are nice, I like that pass rush, but I'm not at all sold on the offense (and I don't mean the QB, because I now kinda like both Dak and Cooper Rush) and I wonder if they'll be able to pile up enough wins to get past the Eagles. 


The rest of the slate:
Texans 20-23 Bears. When the two worst teams in the league get together, you can count of one team gacking it up late. The Texans are frisky but woefully undermanned, the Bears are a leaden lump of a team (and may well have just gotten their last W of the season).

Chiefs 17-20 Colts. I didn't see any of this and I'm glad I didn't. The Chiefs must've worked hard to lose this game. 

Bills 19-21 Dolphins. The Bills ran 90 plays in the choking heat, managed to have clock issues at the end of both halves and still should've won. Clearly the heat was too much for them. Good division win for the Dolphins, frustrating L for the Bills. 

Lions 24-28 Vikings. The Lions led throughout, except when the game ended. *wha-wha* Good W for the Vikings or did they just get lucky?

Ravens 37-26 Patriots. The Ravens D is not looking like a classic Ravens D, while the Pats O is not looking like a classic Pats O, so....kinda glad I missed this. 

Eagles 24-8 Commanders. The Eagles are rolling right now, the Commanders are built to flail.

Saints 14-22 Panthers. The Saints are having serious offense problems and that's too bad, I'm still a believer in Jameis Winston, but I'm the last of a dying breed. Are the Panthers ready to play up to their potential?

Jaguars 38-10 Chargers. The Jags look kinda nice--makes you wonder what they would've been last year if Urban Meyer had given a thought to trying to win games. And what is going on with the Chargers? It's like they're on a mission to destroy Justin Herbert.

Rams 20-12 Cards. Meh. Looks about right. I think the Rams will be pretty good by the end of the season, but I think they're plan is to sleepwalk to the playoffs--which might work! I think the Cards are not very good but every once in a while Kyler Murray will shoplift them a W.

Falcons 27-23 Seahawks. I think the Falcons actually might be good, we'll see if they can get any consistency going, but I got a feeling they're not bad. The Seahawks play hard and they will win games they're not supposed to win--but don't be fooled, they're not a good team. 

No comments: