Friday, July 30, 2021

2021 Gold Cup (final)

USA 1-0 Qatar

As in their previous match against El Salvador, Qatar kinda dominated the 1st half with cool possession and more chances around the goal than the Americans. Both squads were exhibiting hockey style offense: just create chaos in front of the net, then fling the ball toward the goal. Qatar almost got an OG (sweet touch save by the keeper) and then just a few minutes later a flailing pass found an open striker with a clear view from the wing (another sweet touch save). The Americans had a coupla similar moments but nothing as memorable or dangerous in the 1st half. 

In the 2nd half Qatar had their chance to take control: foul in the box in the 60th minute (looked like a good no-call live and even the first coupla reviews didn't win me over, but the final replay where you could see clear contact to the left leg, as opposed to the right, and I think it was the right call), but the dude missed, beat the keeper but put it over the bar, which left the door open for the Americans. I liked bringing Zardes in around the 60th minute, I like the idea of full throttle Zardes to close out a game. Fresh legs in general won out. The Qataris just kinda ran out of gas around the 80th minute. Americans had a long stretch of pinning the Qatari defenders deep and then stealing long balls around midfield, had a handful of quick touch possessions before finally finding the goal in the 87th minute: defender lost his balance in the box, (dude) just found himself open on the wing, makes the sweet pass back to the middle to find Zardes. Nice finish, nice goal, the Americans closed really well. Qatar was the better team (probably) for most of the game, but they hadn't played a real 90 minute game yet, wasn't sure they could do it and, well, they did not. They missed their best chance to ice it and that late American goal that should've tied it up, instead sent the Qataris packing. Since they are the 2022 host country, they will be around for another year and half, may as well get used to them; they looked pretty good to me, confident in midfield, capable of a few moments of magic up front, they play like a veteran, probably won't have any major upsets, but they'll be a tough out in the World Cup. Good W for USA, especially considering this is the 2nd string. 

Mexico 2-1 Canada

Canada is playing feisty and physical in both backfields. I like it. I don't think it's gonna work but I like their aggressiveness. Mexico is fine, they're not really lighting it up but they seem more likely to score. And when they took the lead right before halftime on a late PK (I thought it was the right call), that seemed about right. 

Pretty early in the 2nd half, Canada tied up the game off a nice finish off a breakaway (I dunno, man, he looked offside to me), good rip. Mexico came back a few minutes later with a PK (I thought it was the wrong call, there's not much contact and it's barely in the box at that), but the Canadian keeper saved it  (man, that sneaking up on the ball thing dudes do is pure show and doesn't really accrue any advantage in trying to convert the shot) and the game stayed tied up. Mexico was probably better but never took control, Canada hanging around, felt like it was going to OT, where it would be anyone's game. Then, OMG! A 90+9 goal to ice it. Wow, that was fuckin' baller and a sweet goal. Mexico waited til the final second, but they made the big play, snatched the victory, weren't waiting around 

Very chippy game, lots of shoving and pushing and hold-me-back-istry at work. Normally that's not my thing but hey man, World Cup is next summer, this int'l season is probably gonna be even more elbow-y than usual, so I liked the feisty from both teams. Canada and Mexico both are normally quite reserved on the field (as are the Americans), so watching them get up in each other's grills gave it a tough guy feel that should build up to a killer World Cup 2022. I've never been as impressed with Canada as I was in this Cup, their attack was as confident as I've ever seen, good pace, clever D, pugnacity on the field, this is a new Canada. Mexico is a nice team, they always compete well with the Europeans and Brazil, they're gonna be tough out for the next coupla years.


Finals (Sunday)

Mexico v USA

I dunno. With both of these squads the offense just sorta appears, there's no real consistency to either, though both teams are confident on D and in the midfield. I dunno. I guess I expect Mexico to be more likely to get scoring chances, whether to finish a corner or just find a good shot in the run of play, indeed I'd even favor Mexico in a shoot out, so I really don't see USA taking this. And yet I wouldn't be surprised if it was USA that got lucky on a set play and stole it. An early goal might make for the maximum amount of excitement: like the Euro Final, an early goal puts the other team in hero ball mode a lot sooner than planned and that often translates to more goals in a Final. I think it'll be a fun game, USA is not at their best but they can hang with Mexico, but Mexico strikes me as more likely to get the Cup.

No comments: