Thursday, July 8, 2021

2021 Euro/Copa Semifinals

Brazil 1-0 Peru

I thought Peru kinda sucked, a little surprised Brazil was only able to score once on them. And I thought the ref was favoring Brazil, too, so it was a strangely amazing performance for Peru to not get slaughtered. Brazil is better at every position, this was never really much of a match. 


Italy 2-1 (PKs) Spain

I thought Spain was generally the better team, more dangerous around the goal and seemed more comfortable in possession. Italy's goal was a nice one, caught the keeper in no man's land and punished him, but even then I figured Spain would still score and they did. Once it goes to PK's, it's anybody's game and Italy is moving on. 


Argentina 2-1 (PKs) Colombia

Fun match. I was impressed with Colombia, they did not shy away from the Argentines and really seemed to enjoy taking the physical game right at them, even though Argentina scored quick and seemed to secure the game right away. Both teams had good chances, though Argentina missed on a couple that would've really haunted them if they failed to move on. But Argentina is moving on, so no harm done. 

Denmark 1-2 (OT) England

I thought England was the better squad and this was the right result. But Denmark had their chances and that game-winning goal was a rebound off a saved PK--inches away from Denmark making it to penalty kicks. Good match, Denmark hung in there but I thought England was the stronger attacking side. 


Good weekend of soccer ahead--and the Gold Cup starts Saturday!

Peru v Colombia

I gotta take Colombia. This could be one of the classic trap games: Colombia left it all on the field against Argentina and doesn't care about 3rd place, while Peru feels like they underperformed against Brazil and wants to make the most of their remaining shot at a South America power. (You see that in college football all the time: a team thinks they've got a shot at a championship, suffers a bad loss late, then mails it against New Mexico State in the Car Care Bowl and everyone forgets that they actually had a good season)  But I don't see it here. I think Colombia is really much better than Peru, wouldn't be surprised to see a decisive scoreline in this one. 

Argentina v Brazil

(Man, who would've guessed...?) This is a classic Brazil side in that they are so wildly talented that they don't even seem all that interested in winning. This Argentina side, on the other hand, seems kinda old to me, like it's gonna take all they got to get past Brazil. This should be a good one simply because I think Argentina is gonna be fighting til the last second and Brazil is so casually awesome that they still might previal. I was gonna go with Brazil, but I think I just talked myself into Argentina. They don't do extra time in the Copa, would not be at all surprised to see this go to penalty kicks--and to be a super exciting shootout at that. 

Italy v England

The English are the home favorites and they have generally looked better than everyone they've played so far. Italy is the sneaky underdog--not a place the Italians often find themselves--that outplayed the #1 Belgium but then looked lackluster against a rather overrated Spain. I think Italy plays a good game, keeps it interesting throughout, but I'll stick with England to pull it out late. This'll be another good one!

No comments: