Wednesday, May 1, 2019

2018-19 Champions League Quarterfinals (2nd Leg)

(I saw these games but was on the road and didn't get a chance to do these wrap-ups in a timely manner; also, both of the semis have started but I haven't watched either yet)

Juventus 1-2 Ajax (agg 2-3)
Ajax is a gritty gutty team that plays crisp football and gets it done more often than not. I can't help feeling like they're the plucky underdog that has overachieved but, man, they've been better than Juventus in these two matches, so can't front on them as they move forward. Juventus is fine but beyond Ronaldo, I'm not feeling the attack up front.

Barcelona 3-0 Manchester United (agg 4-0)
Yeah, the score tells the story. Man U lucked their way through the Round of 16 (PSG would've made this match a lot more fun) and were way over-matched against Barca here. Barca took a while to get going but once they did, they piled it on.

Porto 1-4 Liverpool (agg 1-6)
Liverpool's offense was just too much for Porto to deal with. Porto gave a good effort but they just weren't built to last against Liverpool.

Manchester City 3-4 Tottenham (agg 4-4)
Crazy game! They each had goals taken off the board, too, that just add to the craziness. Personally, I thought Man City was the better team throughout but they didn't get the score to go their way. Oh well.


Semi-finals
Tottenham-Ajax
Felt like this should be a Man City-Juventus matchup, right? Well, Tottenham is the Texas Tech of this tournament: I've been watching them win at every level and yet I can't help thinking they've wildly overachieved and shouldn't have gotten this far--but then again, Tech massively impressed me in the Final, they very much deserved to be there, and perhaps Tottenham will rise up and prove me wrong again. I like Ajax, they play a tight, teamwork game and I think they're the favorite here.

Barcelona-Liverpool
The real final, no? Barca is rolling but somehow they don't seem like they've really had to do anything yet, you know? Liverpool's offense is really good and they will keep Barca honest. This is a great matchup, looking forward to catching this opening game (which I am about to watch right now). I guess I'll give Barca just because they're really good but I wouldn't be shocked if Liverpool outworked them.

No comments: