Friday, July 21, 2017

2017-18 NBA Free Agency (Days 7--11)

Hawks: Mike Muscala (2yr/$10m), Dewayne Dedmon (2yr/$14m)
These aren't terribly exciting deals for Hawks fans but they're not bad pick-ups. Muscala is a nice player off the deep bench. I like Dedmon, though I think he's more useful on a good team (like the Spurs) than for a rebuilding team that doesn't know who they are. I expect Dedmon to get plenty of minutes but a limited role would be more exciting.

Grizzlies: Tyreke Evans (1yr/$3.3m)
The Grizzlies have needed an unconscious scorer off the bench for years, not sure Evans is that guy any more but at this price tag, it's a reasonable risk.

Pacers: Bojan Bogdanovic (2yr/$21m)
This guy can really shoot.  Unfortunately, I don't think he can do much else. Oh well, he'll give them some corner 3's and that is a thing that everyone needs nowadays.

Thunder: Ray Felton (1yr/min)
Nice bench player, think he'll mesh well with PG/Patterson/Adams.

Warriors: Zaza Pachulia (1yr/$3.5m)
Warriors still keeping the band together. To me the weirdest part of the Warriors last year was not seeing Andrew Bogut out there. Zaza isn't Bogut but he's a reasonable facsimile.

Magic: Shelvin Mack (2yr/$12m)
I like Mack, a top tier 2nd string PG. But I'm not sure what he does for the Magic next year. I would've preferred to see Mack coming off the bench for a better team.

Cavs: Jeff Green (1yr/$2.3m)
Yes, Green is the perhaps the most frsutrating player of the last 20 years. But the Cavs are the one team in the league that can actually use him. They only need him to be good every 5th or 6th game and that's what he'll give them.

Wolves: Jamal Crawford (2yr/$9m)
I was into this signing when I first heard it: a solid veteran PG to keep the youth movement in line while adding some scoring off the bench. I dunno....re-thinking it, he was not good last year with the Clippers (and pretty overrated the previous year), not sure he has much left to give. Feels like he might be fighting for time with Tyus Jones.

Raptors: CJ Miles (3yr/$25m (sign and trade))
A guy that give them some Patrick Patterson-ish all over the place help, he'll get big minute if DeRozan or Lowry get hurt. The money is affordable too, good move.

Pistons: Anthony Tolliver (1yr/$3m), Reggie Bullock (2yr/$5m)
These are two end of the bench moves that add/subtract little to what the Pistons have right now.

Spurs: Joffrey Lauvergne (unknown)
I like Lauvergne, I think he can be a better Plumlee type of guy, if he can do what he's supposed to do, I feel like he can be really good for the Spurs.

Celtics: Aaron Baynes (1yr/$4.3m)
Bench guy, veteran, old time Popovich soldier, he'll be fine for 5-10 minutes per game.

Suns: Alan Williams (3yr/$17m)
I dunno Williams. I have no idea if he's useful for the Suns.

Lakers: Kentavius Caldwell-Pope (1yr/$18m)
Overpaying for a one-year contract, just biding time til PG (and Lebron? Westbrook? K Love?) arrive next year.

No comments: