Friday, May 6, 2016

NBA Playoffs Update

East
Cavs 2-0 Hawks
I thought the Hawks would get blown out in the first two games but then strike back in the two games at home...ehhh, not seeing it. The Cavs shot so well at home, Lebron is in complete control and the supporting cast is in order (even if Love isn't shooting all that well). Teague and Horford have to shoot with incredible efficiency, Kyle Korver has to show up and do something, Bazemore has to go above and beyond, and Teague has to be perfect on both ends of the court for the Hawks to even come close to taking a single game. I'll go ahead and pretend like the Hawks will take a game (but I doubt my own generosity) and say Cavs in 5.

Raptors 1-1 Heat
I still gotta say: the Raptors are the more talented team but with Kyle Lowry's elbow being all wonky, the Heat have a real shot. If/when Lowry finds his mojo, the Raptors should dust off the Heat but until then I'll stick with the Heat. The Heat struggle to score at times and if Wade or Dragic have an off night it becomes hard for them to find points (why is Joe Johnson playing so many minutes?); but Lowry shooting at career lows keeps them in the series. The Whiteside-Valenciunas battle is kinda fun. I like the Heat to win Games Three and Four and take it in 6.

West
Warriors 2-0 Blazers
I thought the Blazers had one crazy shooting night in them (probably Game Three) that would give them just enough to avoid the sweep. But after Game Two, I don't think I even see that happening. For three quarters the Blazers did more than just hang around, they set the pace. McCollum was wheeling and dealing, Harkless was knocking down 3's, the Warrior supporting cast couldn't really get a foothold. But you gotta beat the Warriors for four quarters. The Blazers flailed in the 4th and the final score didn't reflect how close most of the game had been. Can the Blazers do that one more time? Ehhh, I guess maybe, but I doubt it. I'll say Warriors in 4 (and I'd let Curry play in the closeout game but not until).

Spurs 1-1 Thunder
I've always said the Spurs are susceptible to one thing: a single great player having a statistically unlikely awesome night. And in Game Two that was Russell Westbrook, who was off his rocker for most of the night but when he was in the game he overpowered the Spurs D and got most all he wanted. (Steven Adams, too, was monstrous in the lane) Even though Aldridge went for 42, Kawhi never got going and Tony Parker in particular was barely present. The rest of the Thunder contributed not much, Coach Donovan looked more frustrated than happy about stealing a game in San Antonio, can Westbrook alone beat the Spurs? I doubt it but he can make it damned interesting. I said Spurs in 7 and I'll stick with that.

No comments: