Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Pointless Trade Idea

Suns get Demarcus Cousins (3ys/$47.2m) and Kosta Koufos (4yrs/$33m; 4th year player option); Kings get Tyson Chandler (4yrs/$52m), Markieff Morris (4yrs/$32m), Archie Goodwin (2yrs/$3.2), 2 2016 1st rd picks (currently #4, #28).

The Kings then try to figure out how to get Marcus Morris away from Detroit (would that be worth Willie Cauley-Stein to them?), giving them a veteran core of Rondo, Gay, Chandler and the Morris twins to go with McLemore, the intriguing Goodwin and three 1st round picks this year. (The Suns currently have #34, if I'm the Kings I think I'd go ahead and take that one too) Sure, they'd rather have a nameable star for Cousins but this deal is a mix of solid vets and future potential. And, man, they're the Kings, it doesn't matter what they do, it'll be the wrong move.

Obviously the Suns are the big winner because they get the best player. This gives them a starting lineup next year of Bledsoe, Booker, Tucker, Warren and Cousins with Knight and Len coming off the bench. For next year, I'd bring back Teletovic and try to move Koufos. (I threw in Koufos because its the Kings' worst contract and it brings back Markieff; I don't dislike Koufos but I'm not crazy about that contract) This is an interesting core of young talent and definitely one that can lure in free agents.

Then the Suns call up John Calipari and offer him the house. I'm personally not a big fan of the GM/Coach combo but with the horrible moves the Suns front office has made in recent years, I think offering full power is probably a necessity. If the money is right, it all comes down to whether Cal really wants to be back in the pros because honestly that is as ideal a roster Cal could hope to have. (Hell, I think he should send Josh Harrelson, Deandre Liggins, Alex Poythress and the Harrison twins to summer league, bring in Chuck Hayes to shore up the end of the bench and is Terrence Jones gonna be available this summer?) Does Cal look at this lineup of his proteges and see a team he can work with or are these boys that have grown up without him? Do they respect him or is he a ghost from a different time and place? I dunno. But if the Suns front officer gets out of the way, I think full power with Cousins and Booker would get any coach's attention.

No comments: