Tuesday, November 18, 2014

NBA Transactions

As a weekly blogging excursion I'd like to keep up with the league's transactions.  I understand that most weeks will be devoid of interesting moves but there will be a few weeks in there where I'll be glad I kept with this (I mean....right?).  Also, interesting to note that NBA.com and ESPN.com do not completely agree on what a 'transaction' is, the discrepancies could be informative.  I'll go back three weeks in this first post.

Monday, November 17 -- Pacers announce they'll be keeping G AJ Price for another ten days after receiving a second hardship exception from the league.  I did not realize that this kind of exception even applied to 10-day contracts (or multiple 10-day contracts).  Then again I've never noticed 10-day contracts this early in the season, I thought they were salary cap shenanigans that had little to do with the actual day-to-day moves on the court.  Price has played over 100 minutes this season so I guess the Pacers have plans to keep him in the mix.

Saturday, November 15 -- Sixers sign F Robert Covington.  Another undrafted player for the Sixer roster.  This could be the one, this could be the undrafted, untested, diamond in the rough the Sixers have been looking for.  We'll see.

Friday, November 14 -- Warriors sent G Justin Holiday and C Ognjen Kuzmic to Santa Cruz of the D-League.  I don't know Holiday but Kuzmic is 2012 draftee that has been biding his time on the bench.  The D-League should offer those guys some minutes to play.

Thursday, November 13 -- Jazz assigned G Toure Murry to Idaho of the D-League.  Murry played 50 games for the Knicks last year but the Jazz feature a lot of young guys that all need a lot of minutes to develop.  Unless the Jazz start moving out some of their young guards, it doesn't look like there will be much room for Murry this season.

Monday, November 10 -- Grizzlies recall F Jarnell Stokes and G Jordan Adams from the D-League.  Seems early in the season to shuffle guys in and out of the D but I guess the Grizzlies have a plan to keep these guys getting minutes.  They have both debuted with the Grizzlies but neither has gotten much time yet.  (Personally I was a big Jarnell Stokes fan in NCAA, I think that guy can be a rebounding force)

Monday, November 10 -- Sixers sign C Drew Gordon from the D-League (Delaware).  Another undrafted player for the Sixer roster.  This could be the one, this could be the undrafted, untested, diamond in the rough the Sixers have been looking for.  We'll see.  (Yeah, I just copy-and-pasted from the previous entry...I got a feeling it won't be the last time I use that this year)

Sunday, November 9 -- Grizzlies waive G Kailin Lucas.  Making roster space for the return of Adams and Stokes, presumably.

Friday, November 7 -- Thunder sign G Ish Smith.  When Smith was cut by the Rockets at the end of pre-season he struck me as probably the best unsigned G out there.  (Thought he was a good fit for the Sixers but with his years of experience, I guess he's just not the kind of guy they want right now)  Not surprised he got signed by the Thunder, given their injuries and depth issues, I expect Smith will see solid minutes throughout the season.

Thursday, November 6 -- Clippers name Gillian Zucker as president of business operations.  Zucker comes over from the world of auto racing, having managed a track in northern California for the previous coupla years.  I assume this won't be a terribly high profile job and I have no way to assess how good she'll be, but it does beg the question: how many women have upper management positions in the NBA?

Wednesday, November 5 -- The Sixers announced a whole host of folks filling internal positions, too many unfamiliar names with vague titles to recount here.  Strangely enough the one name I recognized was Sean Rooks (a player development coach), who was drafted by the Mavs in 1992.  Can't help but wonder if his draft status was a strike against him getting this job.

No comments: