Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Eric Bledsoe Saga (part 5)

So where does Bledsoe end up?  I say Phoenix.  

I think Bledsoe plays out the final year for Phoenix, has a great season and gets max money somewhere else in 2015.  Maybe if they go deep in the playoffs or the fans come to adore Bledsoe or some bonding experience takes place, maybe Bledsoe re-signs with the Suns for max money.  But anything short of that will push him elsewhere—even for less money.  Perhaps there’s a trade deadline deal in the works, rarely happens in the NBA but you never know, there could be some good ones this year.   

The Suns don’t want to lose him because he is a good player with excellent potential.  In short, he’s better than anything they could back for him.  His trade value is so high as to be incalculable and/or unrealistic.  If Bledsoe does go out, they have to get something back in return.  Not a draft pick, not some expiring contracts, not a pile of cheap young talent.  The Suns need to get back one or two players with favorable contracts that are going to play, either a stud scorer or a coupla guys that fit their rotation.  That isn’t easy to find.  Which is why he won't get traded now. 

The Suns offered 4yrs/$48m.  I’m guessing they’d be willing to throw in a player option 5th year for $60m (pretty much the same deal, really) but Bledsoe clearly wants more than $12m/per.  Does 4yrs/$60m get them close?  That seems the agreeable number to me.  I think if the Sixers were to offer 4 yrs/$60m to Bledsoe, the Suns would match.  

I can understand everyone’s hesitation to give Bledsoe the big money, so far he’s only shown flashes of brilliance but nothing to suggest he’s an obvious big star.  Personally I think Bledsoe is gonna be the next big star of the NBA--yup, I said it "BIG STAR"--and I think he’s worth the big money. 

If he’s a free agent next summer, where does Bledsoe go?  I think he’d look nice alongside Melo in Madison Square.  Or btw MCW and Nerlens in Philly, if the Sixer brass feels ready to spend money.  Or in Atlanta after Millsap walks.  But I doubt he stays in Phoenix, despite being a perfect fit for each other, I suspect this summer has soured them on each other.  

No comments: