Thursday, June 14, 2007

Gold Cup Quarterfinals

Sat., Jun. 16
Canada vs. Guatemala
USA vs. Panama

Guatemala is a scrappy team that sags the D and really frustrates people. Canada is a country strangely bereft of talent though they are at their best in competitions like this. I'll take Guatemala in this one.

USA has looked dominating in their first 3 games (1-0 over Guatemala, 2-0 over Trinidad, 4-0 over El Salvador) and are the clear favorite to repeat as Gold Cup champs. I watched some of Panama's loss to Mexico last night and I was not impressed with their skills or athleticism. Then again, I wasn't impressed Panama before the last Gold Cup and they made it to the finals! That's right, this is a re-match of the last final. They squeaked by Panama in the last Cup but I think USA will thrash them this time around.

Sun., Jun. 17
Honduras vs. Guadeloupe
Mexico vs. Costa Rica

I'm not even sure what Guadeloupe is or where it lives--and I'm geography buff! Honduras has posted 9 goals in their 3 games so far, they're usually a tenacious squad, looks like they came to play. I'm taking Honduras.

Mexico has disappointed a little bit so far, they're a better squad than they've showed as yet. And Costa Rica is no slouch. This should be the best match of the Quarters. I have to go with Mexico.

No comments: