Monday, June 4, 2007

Thoughts on the Eastern Conference

I thought Orlando was a pretty good fit for Billy Donovan: close to home, killer money and, unlike all the college coaches that the punditry has been comparing him to, the Magic has actually got some good players and a ton of money to play with. Why the change of heart? I have no idea but of course that doesn't preclude me from speculatin' on a hypothesis.

I'm guessing that when Donovan took the Magic gig he was assured that the Magic would go hard after the coveted free agent on the market, Chauncey Billups. But after watching Lebron single-handedly pull the Cavs past Chauncey's Pistons, I suspect Chauncey is probably more interested in trying to beat the Bulls with Lebron than he is in going to Orlando and trying to beat Lebron with Jameer Nelson and Grant Hill. Likewise, if I was Chauncey Billups I think I'd see Lebron as the guy to be next to rather than Rip (needs too much service), Rasheed (might be done) and Tayshaun (a nice piece of the puzzle but not the guy you build around). Just like that the power of the east goes from Detroit to Cleveland. I don't see Wade beating Lebron next year, so as of right now I'd say the Cavs are my pre-pre-season pick for next year's finals.

The Bulls will be the next best team behind Cleveland. The Raptors should improve a little more but its hard to see them busting past the middle of the conference. The Wizards are primed to make a move or two that could lift them. The Heat will be there at the end but I think they come up short. If Billups leaves the Pistons, then they instantly fall to 6th or 7th at best in the east. The Sixers have a ton of draft picks so if they choose wisely they could get themselves in the playoffs, they weren't as bad as they looked this past year. Who the hell knows what the Knicks will do? The Bucks have confounded me for the last few years: I think they've got some good looking pieces but they haven't moved forward lately. The Hawks will still be the Hawks. The Celtics will still suck. The Bobcats are on the slow and steady glide path. I suspect the Nets will see some major changes that will drop them out of the playoffs next year. The Pacers are going backwards.

So where are the Magic? I'm guessing their new coach will be some shlub like PJ Carlisimo. And they'll be about 7th or 8th in the east.

Oh yeah, I'll take the Spurs in 5 closely contested, entertaining games.

No comments: