Monday, September 13, 2021

2021 US Open

Raducanu 6/6 - 4/3 Fernandez

Fun match! I didn't see much of the Ladies' side this year but I doubt I would've paid much attention to either of these girls anyway because they were both such crazy long shots, so just as well that I missed it. Fernandez was the crowd favorite who came out of nowhere to win everyone's hearts but all I saw was the Final and I gotta say: holy balls, she looks like a little child! She looks like she should be selling candy bars so her middle school soccer team can go to the state finals. The crowd (including Steve Nash) was clearly rooting for her. She moves well, big hitter, great footwork, I think she's got a future. But I was blown away by Raducanu--she's the shit! First qualifier to ever win the US Open and I don't think she's done. I was impressed with Fernandez, but Raducanu was legit better at every phase of the game. She's top ten right now. And considering the standard bearer on the women's side is Ashleigh Barty, who probably has the most all-around talent but just does not get it done in the Finals, I think Raducanu can be the next big big big star. I would be surprised if this was her last major. Great match, a lot of fun, the crowd was totally into it, always great to see new faces and I think both Fernandez and Raducanu are gonna have staying power (which should elevate this particular Final to an all-time classic). 

(2) Medvedev 6/6/6 - 4/4/4 (1) Djokovic

Yipes! I don't remember the last time I saw Djokovic just get roasted like a hog before....yeah, I've never seen that happen. Djokovic was weird all through this tournament, kept dropping sets when normally he's just a robot that crushes all comers, so I don't know what kind of funk he was in. But the fact that he was not exactly at his best in this tourney and still made the Finals (even eviscerating Zverev in the semifinal), just shows what an unholy badass he is. But, man, Medvedev came to play--and he was talking shit, whooping up the crowd, staring Djoker down--and Djokovic couldn't smooth talk his way back into this. Wow, it's amazing how far off the baseline Medvedev was hanging--holy shit, when he was in the near court, you couldn't even see him on the TV broadcast! I'm amazed that that strategy worked. You would think a craftsman like Djokovic could find the holes (he was definitely pumping drop shots whenever possible, but it wasn't enough), but Medvedev is just a such a big dude, he was tracking everything down. I like watching Medvedev, the way he unfolds as he takes his shots is funny to watch (reminds me of Utah's Joe Ingles). Is Djokovic done? Is Medvedev ready to de-throne him (seems like Zverev has shown that he is not)? We'll see, it could be Meevedev's for the foreseeable future. Good match, even Djokovic at half strength still makes for great tennis. 

No comments: