Friday, February 2, 2018

MLB Hall of Fame Voting

Last week Major League Baseball welcomed 4 more members of their Hall of Fame: Chipper Jones, Vlad Guerrero, Jim Thome, Trevor Hoffman. I absolutely agree with Chipper and Vlad, two of the best players I ever saw ('eyeball test' being my main criterion, incidentally). I guess I can't argue with Thome or Hoffman, certainly piled up the numbers need to get in (though I'm a little surprised Thome got in on his 1st ballot while Vlad had to wait a year).


Should get in eventually
Edgar Martinez, Mike Mussina
Martinez is a bit of a test case, so far DH-only guys have not been admitted but he was one of the best and I think the evolution of the game is worth noting. I'm kinda stunned Mussina is having to wait so long. He was a great pitcher for a long time, played on a lot of good teams, many time all-star and spent his entire career in the toughest division in baseball, should've been in years ago, but he's trending in the right direction and I think he'll get in eventually.


Guys that ought to be in (probably won't get in)
Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Manny Ramirez, Curt Schilling, Sammy Sosa
I've said it before and I'll say it again: these are some of the best players of their generation and if the baseball writers don't trust them or just plain don't like them (Schilling, for example) that is immaterial and those writers should be banned from voting again. Bonds is arguably the single greatest player of ALL TIME! How can you have a Hall of Fame that doesn't have him in it? Clemens may be a lying, cheating annoying asshole but he was one of the best I ever saw and for the Hall to ban him is positively foolish. Manny is one of the best right-handed hitters of all time and if he took steroids...I don't care. I do not believe steroids makes anyone good at baseball (and if you think steroid represent the only cheating in the history of the game then you're a damn idiot). Schilling may be an annoying loudmouth jerk but he pitched with men on base as well as anyone I can think of. Sosa was not one of my favorites during his day but his numbers are undeniable--Jim Thome was one of my favorites in his day but clearly Sosa had the better career. (How can you say Jim Thome is worthy and Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa are not?)


May not make it but ought to
Gary Sheffield
Hey, man, Sheffield was a really good player for a long time for a lot of good teams. And he got fewer votes than Jeff Kent? (Who da fuq is voting for Jeff Kent?) I think he's deserving, I'd vote for him.


Guys receiving votes that I don't think will make
Omar Vizquel, Larry Walker, Fred McGriff, Jeff Kent, Billy Wagner, Scott Rolen, Andruw Jones
All solid players with great careers, it doesn't look like they'll get in and I guess I agree with that.


Not Enough Votes to Continue
Johan Santana, Jamie Moyer, Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui, Chris Carpenter, Kerry Wood, Carlos Lee, Livan Hernandez, Kevin Millwood, Aubrey Huff, Orlando Hudson, Jason Isringhausen, Carlos Zambrano, Brad Lidge
A little surprised Johnny Damon is one-and-done, he was a good player for a long time, played pivotal roles on important teams; I'm not saying he's an HOF-er but I thought he deserved a little more consideration. Also, man, Santana at his best was a bad bad man, too bad he couldn't stay healthy. 

No comments: