Monday, September 18, 2017

Cleveland Indians 22 Game W Streak

The Indians won 22 straight before losing to the Royals on Friday night. (I'm pleased to report the Indians have a started a new streak, whipping the Royals on Saturday) As a lifelong Indians fan, I watched a fair amount of those 22 W's and I just wanna say two things: 1) congratulations and 2) damn, I'm glad that's over! This Indian team is good, real good, just being good will win them a lot more games than they lose. They don't need to worry about being perfect, just be good! I'm glad they stamped their names in the history books, that's cool, but the goal is the World Series not this streak.

This team is much deeper than the team that was up 3-1 in the World Series last year.  And the key to this amazing run has been the pitching. At the trade deadline they remolded their bullpen and around that time SP's Kluber, Carrasco, Clevinger and Bauer went lights out.

Worth noting: the 22nd W was perhaps the sweetest of all: a Lindor double to tie it in the bottom of the 9th and a Jay Bruce single to win it the 10th. Great comeback, fun game, the Royals played well that night and beating them was a real treat, all in all a fitting end to the streak. I was a little surprised by the L that followed in that I kinda thought when the streak came to an end it would be because the Indians played a lousy game (bad at-bats, bad base running, poor pitching, errors, etc.) and that isn't really happened; the Indians had their chances late (I appreciate that Francona left Gomes and Mejia in the bat in the 9th and that he brought in Salazar, the one SP that had no success during the streak, out of the bullpen) but just failed to pull it out like they did the night before. No sweat, I was ready for the streak to end (I bet Terry Francona was too!).



No comments: