Tuesday, April 18, 2017

NBA Playoff Predictions (Round One)

Yeah, I'm about 4 days too late for this post but I wrote (most of) it on Saturday, so I'm totally legit.  I swear. What has changed in the last few days?

Celtics over Bulls
I think the Bulls are terrible. The Celtics are hard working, fun, yet utterly unlikely to win the East. The Celtics have matchup problems that will doom them eventually. But for now I think the Bulls are a team they match up well with. Celtics in 5. (Okay, after two games in that series, I am looking decidedly wrong. For years the Bulls were an interesting collection of talent that I always thought would pull through and never really did; I was fine with ditching Joakim and D Rose and Pau and even Taj but replacing them with D Wade, Rondo and nobody was not a step in the right direction. But suddenly they look like the mismatched collection of vets and rooks that could be really dangerous. And the Celtics look like a team lacking that one big star (that everyone knows they lack), look like a collection of interesting players that work hard because they're not as talented. Well, in the post-season talent wins out. Am I giving up on the Celtics? Aw, hell, no. I still think this Bulls team stinks and if you think of this as a battle between Stevens and Hoiberg...ehh, you ready to throw in with Bulls? I'm not. Obviously the Celtics won't win in 4 (my Saturday prediction), I still think they're the better team, I still think the Bulls are the lesser team and the Celtics will figure it out.

Cavs over Pacers
Lebron don't miss around in the early rounds. Check it: he rarely gives up more than 1 game. I think the Pacers a mess (my big disappointment team of the year) and couldn't punch their way out of Peyton Manning's spine. Cavs in 4 (Yup, I'll stick with that)

Raptors over Bucks
Yes, I was a little surprised by Game 1. Not super surprised, the Raptors do start slow in the post-season. But they are the better team and I assume that over the course of seven games, they'll figure it out. But the Bucks have nothing to lose and the funnest team around. Not super shocked that the Bucks won Game 1 but the decisive fashion with which they dispatched the Raptors was eye-opening. (Aside: Obviously my great regret of not watching as much basketball this year was missing out on a classic Antetokounpo maturation season) I still think the Raptors are the better team, the more complete team, the more mature team and will get it together by Game 7.

Wizards over Hawks
These Hawks just aren't the same Hawks. No Korver, no Teague, no Horford, just DWight and Dennis Shroeder? No, I ain't feeling that and I was never the Coach Bud fan that most others are. The Wizards are a haphazard kinda team, I feel like they're better (they just won't always play better), and ultimately they'll get it done. Wizards in 7


Warriors over Blazers
I'll give the Blazers Game 3 back in Portland but that's it. The Warriors are ready to roll and the Blazers are the first to get rolled. Warriors in 5.

Spurs over Grizzlies
This series two games in gives me pause from my original prediction. I thought the Spurs would run through the Grizz in 4 just like they did last year. But the Grizz are waaaaaaaay better this time around so how could I expect the grit and grind just to give in so quick? Yes, the Spurs are up 2-0 but I still think it'll be harder than they're expecting. I would've taken the Spurs in 4, now I'll say 6.

Rockets over Thunder
Fun series, Harden and Westbrook are gonna be great. I just think the Harden team is rounder, fuller, more together than the Westbrook team. I like OKC, I was impressed with the season they had, the season Westbrook had, but I still think the Rockets are the better team. Rockets in 6 (yeah, the Rockets win it in OKC).

Clippers over Jazz
The coinflippiest series of the 1st round. I'm going with the home team in Game 7, if the Jazz had the home court I would've chosen them, but the Clipps got it so I'm going with them. I like the Jazz, I like how they're growing together, thought they jumped the gun with bringing in vets but by the post-season the vets are just seasoning rather than running the show. The Clippers are the same kind of good they've always been and the same kind of bad. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Jazz dusted the Clippers off but I was a little surprised to see the Jazz take Game 1. Yeah, I had it going seven but I had the home team going 7-0. I went Clippers in 7, could just as easily be Jazz in 7 (or 6).

No comments: