Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Euro Semi-finals

Portugal v Spain – Obviously Spain is the favorite and the best team but I can see Portugal giving them a good showing.  Portugal and Spain are mirror images: solid but not great on defense, dominating ball control in the mid-field, strangely weak up front.  Similar styles, similar game plans, but Spain has the superior talent and the amazing streak they’ve been on for 4 solid years now.  I would not be surprised to see Portugal sneak past Spain here.  I don’t think I’ll boldly predict it, no, I’ll go with the Spaniards but Portugal is capable of hanging with Spain for 90 minutes in a way that very few other squads in the world can.  This game could go to PK’s. 

Germany v Italy – I would be surprised to see Italy best Germany.  Italy is good team but not a great one.  They rely too much on sagging defense and quick strikes up front.  Against Germany that is a gameplan designed to frustrate the Germans, keep the scoring chances rare and push the game into PK’s where anything can happen.  That’s fine against England, might even work against Portugal or even Spain.  But I don’t see the Germans being held out of the goal for 90 minutes—and certainly not 120!  This game does not go to PK’s.  I’ll take Germany to stick a coupla goals in by regulation. 

No comments: