Saturday, December 16, 2017

2017-18 NCAA Football Bowls (Week 1)

12/16
Grambling (-7.5) - North Carolina A&T (o/u 51.5)
Yeah, these first coupla dozen bowls remind me that though I watched more college football than ever this year, I still didn't even come close to seeing the vast majority of teams out there. Like Grambling and North Carolina A&T, for example. So I gotta use this methodology: the game should be something like Grambling 30-22. That isn't really how odds work (not at all, not even close) but the lines out there do suggest a game something along those lines. Does that sound right? I dunno, I know nothing about either of these teams. So, uh, I'll take North Carolina A&T to shock the world and the over.

North Texas (+7) - Troy (o/u 60.5)
Troy did actually hit my radar this year, scoring one of the better upsets of the whole year: a W at LSU. Also I know that Troy is traditionally a pretty good smaller college. North Texas, on the other hand, is renowned for their excellent music department and a prestigious MFA program...hmmmmm, a Texas school better known for its Arts department than its football team kinda leaves me cold. I'll take Troy and the under. 

Georgia State (+4.5) - Western Kentucky (o/u 50.5)
WKU is good at slinging the ball around, I like this to be a high scoring game. I'll take Georgia State to keep it close and the over.

Oregon (-7.5) - (25) Boise State (o/u 59)
Ah, finally, two teams that lingered around the top 25 this year. I'm surprised to see that Oregon is such a large favorite. Oregon was a 2nd tier Pac-12 team and my gut feeling is Boise State could've easily been a 2nd tier squad in the Pac-12. Looks like it should be a pass-happy game, but I'll take both defenses to show up and dig in. I gotta go with Boise State and the under. 

Marshall (+5) - Colorado State (o/u 56)
Marshall used to be a D2 powerhouse when I was a kid but since they've jumped up a level, they're a pretty ordinary squad. Colorado State was always a pretty ordinary squad, so I'll go with them. The over/under looks high to me, I suspect both of these teams will keep the ball on the ground and this will be an in-the-trenches contest. I'll take Colorado State and the under. 

Middle Tennessee (+3.5) - Arkansas State (o/u 60.5)
I think these are two solid pass attacks that will run up the score on each other. I like Arkansas State to control the game by the end. I'll take Arkansas State and the over. 


12/19
Akron (+17.5) - Florida Atlantic (o/u 62.5)
Not sure why the spread is so big here but I got a feeling FAU pummels Akron. I'll go with Florida Atlantic and the over.


12/20
Louisiana Tech (+5.5) - SMU (o/u 70)
Over/under of 70? That's pretty big. I'll go with the notion that passing attack teams tend to be better drilled on offense than on defense....or something like that. I'll take Louisiana Tech to play it close enough and I'll go with the under. 


12/21
Temple (+8) - Florida Int'l (FIU) (o/u 54)
I'll take Temple to win straight up. I think they'll score their points but keep FIU from getting theirs. We'll see. I'll take Temple and the under. 

No comments: