Monday, July 16, 2007

Copa America conclusion

Brazil 3-0 Argentina

Argentina was my pre-Copa pick and while its never too surprising to see Brazil win on the pitch, I was a little surprised at how flat the Argentines looked for most of the championship match. When looking over the line-ups, I must admit that Robinho was the only Brazilian that I was familiar with while I knew virtually all of the Argentines. I figured Argentina was the favorite anyway but once Brazil showed up with its B team (though their C and D teams should be competitive with just about anyone in the world), I figured it was in the bag for Argentina.

But Brazil scored quickly (Baptista, 4'), a nice rip but the keeper should have had it--he made no play at all on the ball! Abbondanzieri was shaky all day. I thought the run of play was fairly even for the rest of the first half but an own goal (Ayala, 40')--tough play, it was a necessary defensive move that unfortunately got away from him--made the uphill climb that much tougher. In the second half the Argentines just did not respond to the challenge and went out looking pretty weak, I thought. Messi and Tevez, the two great up-and-coming attackers just flailed out there. Alves added another in the 69th minute just to cap it.

Like I said, Brazil winning a Copa America can't really ever be too shocking to anyone. But a 3-0 thrashing of the favorite and bitter rival Argentines is eye opening. Dunga's influence as coach may make Brazil a bit more of a tenacious defensive squad, which could make them very dangerous by 2010.

Mexico beat Urugay 3-1 in the 3rd place match. Didn't get to see any of it, so all I know is the score. I thought they were fairly evenly matched. A 37' minute penalty led to a red card and the tying goal for Mexico. Looks like the Mexicans made the most of their 1-man advantage in the 2nd half.

No comments: