Saturday, March 31, 2007

Picking the semis

I would've thought Ohio State was the favorite since they've been ranked top 5 basically all year whereas the Hoyas drifted their way up there over the course of the season. But, no, the first line (over at USA Today) was straight up, the next 4 had the Hoyas as the 1-1.5 fave. Okay, I'm going dog. I picked the Buckeyes in my bracket and I guess I'll stick with them. They lucked out against Xavier, Tennessee had them and just didn't put them away, then they finally played some good ball against Memphis. I feel like Ohio State has figured out what they need to do: Conley needs to go back and forth from Oden to Lewis. If he does that, if everyone can get hot, then I think the Buckeyes are the better team and will prevail. I really think G-town's strengths are neutralized in this match-up and their inside game will struggle all night. This could be an ugly, low-scoring game. If the Buckeyes can stretch the lead a bit then maybe it becomes a free throw fest (like the Memphis game) but I suspect the Hoyas will keep it close throughout. That said, I think the game gets into the 60's late. I'll take the Buckeyes (even) and the over (110).

I thought Florida (-3.5) might've been a bigger favorite. They haven't played their best basketball since…well, since last year's Final Four to be honest. They skated by most of the season, never really challenged in the conference: Tubby floundered at Kentucky, Tennessee couldn't overcome injuries to Chris Lofton, LSU and Alabama just weren't as good as they were supposed to be and, well honestly, Vandy at their absolute very best is still no better than 3rd in the SEC. They can fall to UCLA. UCLA plays a dull game, tenacious D and a lot of prayer at the offensive end. Florida has deeper talent and although this crew seems motivated, again, they haven't been tested and tonight's game may well be more than they can handle. Florida can certainly go cold. I think Noah is the real X factor: if he can shake his way through the thick interior D of the Bruins then Florida will win. I got the sneaking suspicion he won't. I'll take the Bruins (+3.5) to win and I'll definitely take the over (110) here.

No comments: