Thursday, June 12, 2014

2014 World Cup predictions

Every four years I drop everything and watch soccer for a month.  I love soccer all year round but I don't have cable or an immediate group of like-minded friends to keep me updated, so I stick to American sports in general.  But even Americans can be lured into the World Cup (for one month out of forty-eight) so the World Cup should be readily available.  And, of course, I have to see if I can predict the future...that's kinda how I spend my days.  That said I can't help making a left-field pick.  

Argentina over Brazil in the Final
Germany over Spain for 3rd

Spain has dominated everyone for the last 6 years but a lethargy sets in with all great teams.  The other squads of the world have moved on, rotated in new players, new blood, whereas Spain is still milking that one generation--one of the greatest in soccer history--but in soccer the teams have to evolve forward.  The teams that come back the same year after year eventually falter.  When it comes to Spain vs. the Field, I'm taking the Field.  

Just to fill out the Sweet 16: Brazil, Netherlands, Colombia, Uruguay, Spain, Croatia, Italy, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, France, Germany, Algeria, Argentina, Switzerland, USA, Russia.  

Yes, I had USA getting out the group and even winning a match before getting clowned by Argentina in the final eight.  A quarterfinal for the Americans would be a triumph and apparently that's what I think is gonna happen.  Am I just being a homer?  Well, more that I don't know the rest of the soccer world that well these days while I've watched the USA's last 3 games and been impressed with them.  The D still seems shaky but we've got a terrific goalie; the O is likely to bog down but pushing Altidore forward, dropping Dempsey back with Beasley attacking up the wing makes sense to me, feels like that could work.  Cutting Landon Donovan was a surprise but I don't think it makes or breaks this team; Donovan is still (to my mind) the best position player US Soccer has ever produced and I think he can still contribute to this squad but I guess Coach Klinsmann thinks he can do better without him (and I don't think I disagree).  

No comments: