Tuesday, May 6, 2008

NHL playoffs update

Conference Semi-Finals predictions
East
Canadiens over Flyers in 6
Rangers over Penguins in 7

West
Red Wings over Avalanche in 6
Stars over Sharks in 7


I'm still struggling with the east, missed both picks in the semis. The way the Rangers sliced through the Devils, who impressed me throughout the regular season, led me to think that they would rise above the youthful Penguins. The Penguins would have none of it and bumrushed the Rangers quickly at home and did well back in New York. Crosby and Malkin are on the road to the Stanley Cup. I took Montreal over Philly just because they had a better record and their peripheral stats seemed better--I don't believe I saw either of these squads all season long. I caught quite a bit of Philly's 1st round match-up against the Caps and wasn't impressed with their attack, which disappears from time to time. I sorta figured that Montreal would be the veteran team that would rise above the inconsistent Flyers. Well they didn't. I gotta take the Pens' relentless attack over Philly's inconsistency. Penguins in 6.

The west, on the other hand, is quite clear to me. The Sharks were the fashionable pick at the beginning of the playoffs to get out of the west, the team that could go to Hockey Town and get it done. But the Stars peaked at the right time--need to keep that peak going for a coupla more weeks--and jumped out to a 3-0 lead. The Sharks are a good squad and they kept Dallas on their toes but nobody comes back from 3-0. The Red Wings are the best. They've been the best all year and only Sidney Crosby on a mission even has a chance to beat them. Recalling what the Red Wings did to Eric Lindros on a mission back in the day, I feel for Crosby. Red Wings in 5.

No comments: