Monday, September 10, 2007

U-17 World Cup update

Nigeria staved off Spain in PK's, which I didn't get to see because the DVR doesn't do overtime (yeah, I know its my fault, but damn man, this technology gets right to the edge of being perfect and then nickel-and-dimes then final step, you know?). Damn, man, Nigeria won every game they played and beat France, Japan, Colombia, Argentina, Germany and Spain--not an easy road! Interestingly enough, I would've considered Nigeria's triumph an upset but perhaps not. This is actually Nigeria's 3rd U-17 World Cup while Germany has won zero.

I did get to see all of Nigeria's match with Germany (Nigeria 2-1 Germany), a good one. Felt bad for Germany's keeper: both of Nigeria's goals went right through his hands. They were both bullets from outside, the first led to a rebound when the keeper couldn't corral it, the second was a bit of a fluke that touched off the keeper's hands right into the goal. I saw a bit of Spain's semi-final tussle with Ghana, I thought they were evenly matched, Spain's goalie came up big.

All that said, this was a sloppy tournament: sloppy play, sloppy officiating, sloppy television coverage. Its nice to catch the future stars but I'll like all these kids better when they're in the majors.

No comments: