Tuesday, April 16, 2024

2023-24 NBA Bric-a-Brac and Playoff Predictions

(Got bored down the stretch looking at 10-day contracts, I should probably just stop doing that. Here's a few moves that I missed)

Coach

Jamahl Mosley (Magic) signed 4-year extension

The Magic are a young team on the rise, Mosley came in as a promising behind-the-scenes guy and he's grown nicely with this team. Seems like the right move, especially since this roster is pretty well set for the future, I'd guess one big signing this summer, maybe some luck in the draft, but for the most part this squad is ready to grow together, Coach Mosley looks to be the right guy.

Player Contract

Jrue Holiday (Celtics) signs 4yr/$135m extension

Holiday has definitely been a good addition to this Celtics squad and since they've already extended Jaylin Brown and Kristaps Porzingis, seems like this is their roster for the foreseeable future. This is a good team that still has room to get better, this is a good move. 

Retired

Nemanja Bjelica, Rajon Rondo

I always loved Bjelica, too bad the big fella didn't have a coupla more years in him. I remember watching him with the Wolves and he would always have these bruises and cuts on his face--he perpetually looked like he just came from a fist fight in a Wal-Mart parking lot! Loved his game, big guy that shot 3's and took no shit, love that he got a ring with the Warriors. So long, big guy, I was a big fan.

On the other hand, as a lifelong Kentucky Wildcats supporter, I can honestly say Rajon Rondo was my LEAST favorite Wildcat (and he's actually from Kentucky!). I knew he had the skills to be great, I was not surprised by his success, but his taciturn selfishness torpedoed teams as much as he helped them. I still say the trade that sent him to the Mavs was the WORST single trade of the last decade (and one that everyone forgets), considering that the Mavs had the best offense in the league before the trade (didn't need to be done at all). That said, Rondo was a really good player and at his best was a for-real badass (almost as good as his own sense of self). Will he be back as a coach? On the one hand, he was clearly intelligent at basketball; on the other hand, he didn't strike me as the most outgoing, mentor-oriented guy. 

 

Post-Season Predictions

Play-in

(East) I'll take Heat over Sixers, Bulls over Hawks; Sixers over Bulls

(West) I'll take Pelicans over Lakers; Kings over Warriors; Lakers over Kings

1st round

(East) Celtics over Sixers in 5; Heat over Knicks in 7; Bucks over Pacers in 7; Cavs over Magic in 7

(West) Thunder over Lakers in 7; Nuggets over Pelicans in 4; Wolves over Suns in 6; Mavs over Clippers in 6

2nd round

(East) Celtics over Cavs in 5; Bucks over Heat in 7

(West) Thunder over Mavs in 7; Nuggets over Wolves in 7

Conference finals

(East) Celtics over Bucks in 6

(West) Nuggets over Thunder in 6

This was my pre-season Final Four and I'm sticking with it. Yeah, OKC needs to show they can win in the playoffs and I think they will. But the Nuggets are still the team to beat in the West, the one truly ready-to-win team out there. The Celtics have easily been the best in the League this season and while the Bucks have been more shaky than solid this season, I still think they're better than everyone else (except the Celtics).

Finals

Nuggets over Celtics in 6

This was my pre-season pick and my all-star break pick, I don't see any reason to change. I think the Celtics can beat the Nuggets and it'll be a great series, but I'm sticking with the Jokic and co. until the explosion comes to defeat them. 

No comments: